It is not a good sign to have a damp and wet basement in your house. It is common for people not to think much of the humidity in the air, or the musty smell, even though they should. When nothing is done, there will be damage to the walls, floor, foundation, and property in there. You need to be more worried about the mold and mildew growth that will ensue.
If you let your family keep breathing the mold spores, they will get respiratory issues, headaches, allergic reactions, asthma, and even cancer. You may not see the mold, but understand that they are present whenever you leave the basement damp and humid. You get to be sure only after hiring a professional mold inspection and removal service.
You can tell of mold presence when you see a green, brown, gray, or white splotches on the surfaces and items in the basement. Other signs include a musty odor, water damage signs like water stains or peeling wallpapers, water leaks from pipes or the outside, recent flooding in the basement, and an increase in symptoms like coughing, sneezing, and headaches after being in the basement. You should therefore not hesitate in calling in the professional for mold testing. You will get options once the test is done. It is better not to find any than to ignore the problem.
Mold testing shall not only look for their presence, but it shall also determine how extensive their spread is the regions it is thriving the most, and the type of mold present. They shall inspect every corner and get samples. They shall proceed to collect air samples for detection of spores. This is done also in other parts of the house. They will then proceed to the lab to do the analysis. You shall get a comprehensive report of what you are dealing with after a while.
Should they detect the presence of mold, they shall proceed to offer the mold removal services. They get to offer that service fast before things get out of hand. The first thing they do is seal off the contaminated areas. They will then spray the visible mold, vacuum it up, apply antimicrobial and antifungal agents on the surfaces, and purify the air. If there are items in there too contaminated, they shall ask you to have them removed.
You need to find a way to get rid of the mold in the house. You should also make sure this never happens again, by installing preventative measures. This calls for ensuring the basement is moisture free, and the house is well ventilated. When you see signs of mold presence, make a point of calling in the professionals. You need to do so for the sake of your house.